Sunday, March 4

Harmison hates cricket

Though initially charming, titles of my posts skirting and manipulating, "Omar Loves Cricket", are a concept that has probably long worn off. Nevertheless, I will continue to amuse myself.

Steve Harmison is a strange fellow. He sucked during the Ashes apart from a couple of decent spells, retired from ODI's soon after, and is finally speaking out about his retirement and the Ashes.

He told the Mail on Sunday: "From the very first ball of the Ashes series I hated the game of cricket. I've made myself a promise as a result: from now on I'm going to make sure, whatever happens, I enjoy myself.

"Everybody told me it had been made out that I'd virtually lost the Ashes on my own.

"None of our big players turned up, at least not on a consistent basis, and some of us failed to achieve anything at all. I'd place myself in that last category.

"But I do feel I've been made a scapegoat, and I think, in part, it's because of my perceived laid-back attitude."

Harmison's plan had always been to quit ODIs after the World Cup in a bid to prolong his Test career, however his failure in the Ashes forced him to bring forward his retirement.

He said: "The plan was to pack in after the World Cup. I first thought about it in South Africa in 2004 and told Michael Vaughan.

"Last year, I missed Tests through an injury from a one-day series and in India I realised I'd had enough. I wanted to prolong my Test career and that's why I've packed in one-dayers.

"Martyn Moxon, who has just left as Durham coach, asked me if I'd missed playing for England when they beat Australia in the one-day final last month. I told him I missed celebrating on the balcony but not the game. He replied: 'You made the right decision'."

Good riddance to him then! I hate this sort of attitude from a cricketer. I'm not even English and I'm pissed off at him. What a sorry way of justifying his poor performances. He was selected to represent his country, which is such an honor, and naturally, a lot of hopes rested on his shoulder. He claims that a lot of other players didn't perform as well, but none of them seem to hate the sport they were playing. That's no excuse and its this defeatist attitude that irritates me.

Harmy doesn't agree with the critics opinion of his 'perceived laid-back attitude'? However, how is it perceived wrong, if he is claiming he hates the bloody sport? The critics are right on the money there buddy.

English cricket doesn't need Harmison on the balcony either. That's useless. The balcony should be full of players who ache to be on the field at any chance they can get. This chap belongs in the stands as a cheerleader, as cricket is lot better off without such depressing characters.

On a side note, what is up with trend of English players who can't seem to handle the mental strain of an international career? Marcus Trescothick comes to mind...

No comments: