Wednesday, April 25

Is it just me, or has this World Cup been a bit dull?

As an avid fan of cricket, I feel disillusioned with the quality of our sport's premier event. These have been a handful of good games, but nothing much else to speak of. The semi-finals were great cricket matches in their own right, but so much more was expected of them.

One might argue, and say that I am only irritated because Pakistan and India are not a part of the cup, but I don't believe that is the reason. I follow most cricket and watch games that don't involve either country. I think the cricketing world (the bloody ICC) really needs to think about the direction in which they are taking this sport. If people like me, who are born into a cricketing system, are feeling slightly disconnected from the premier cricketing event, then how can we expect new countries and new followers to absorb the game.

Several questions came to mind while discussing this tournament and cricket's state of affairs in lengthy conversations with my friend at Billu.net. These questions will be addressed by us, either in collaboration or individually, over the coming weeks.

1) What is the role of the minnow countries? Is throwing them into the deep end every 4 years really helping them out? Would something regular and structured be more appropriate?

2) Was the format of this World Cup flawed? Was it too middle-heavy (Too many games in a league type structure) with not a lot of room for unpredictability?

3) If the ICC is hellbent upon expanding cricket's reach outside of the traditional nations, then how can it truly attract audiences?

4) Cricket's influence in India, Pakistan, and the West Indies is receding with competition from soccer, rugby and basketball. Should attempts be made to reverse this trend? And if so, how can the ICC go about doing it?

2 comments:

IPL 2010 said...

Hey Guys,

AUS come in Final beat with Lanka

more World Cup upsets on

http://wc2007upset.blogspot.com/

Be connect and Njoy....

Anonymous said...

I agree this world cup has been dull. I am a huge fan of cricket and watch matches involving all countries, but strangely for the last year or two, I find myself actually bored by one-day cricket. I think it has to do with the arrival of 20/20 cricket on the scene, as well as a few other problems with one-day cricket like:

* Middle overs 20 to 40 are boring.
* One-day matches are inherently unfair in that the team winning the toss usually has a huge advantage. This is especially true for seaming pitches and day/night matches.

I believe one-day cricket should be gradually phased out and replaced by just Test cricket and 20/20. My prediction is that the 20/20 world cup this year will be a HUGE success and provide highly entertaining matches.