Tuesday, January 2

Not selecting Shoaib Akhtar is a mistake - though not too costly

The WADA appeal to reinstate the ban has been recently filed, and the dust is yet to settle on the doping scandal. The cricketing world isn't too happy with the let-off. I have made my opinion clear on this issue; both Shoaib and Asif shouldn't play till they are retested...

But since they are available for selection, and the ICC hasn't put its foot down, I feel the show much go on. I am as irritated as anyone, at the incompetence of the PCB in handling this case, but I realize that I need to look to the future now. The WADA appeal is ongoing and the ICC, rightly so, is not going to let this pass so easily. So instead of hating on the players, I will direct my frustration towards the PCB, who I feel made a mockery of the situation.

As far as the South African tour goes, not selecting Shoaib Akhtar is a bit of a folly. It's a bit strange that his fitness has been adjudged according to his performance in the domestic twenty20 tournament. I don't think playing well in 20 over cricket is an accurate measure of bowling form. Shoaib is a match-winner, he thrives in playing on the world stage. If he is going to get past this doping scandal, they might as well, bring him into action as early as possible. The bouncy, pacy South African wickets would be ideal for his style of bowling.

On the brighter side, the bowling is still pretty strong without him. Perhaps it will be advantageous for him to wait out the test matches and play the ODI's. After all, the next big tournament that Pakistan should be setting their eyes on is the World Cup.

No comments: